Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Chapter 8, Evaluating

"Revealing the Ugly Cartoonish Truth: The Simpsons"
By Simon Benlow


WRITING STRATEGIES
Question 2. In your own words, what is Benlow's main idea?

I think that Benlow's main idea is that the Simpsons' out of control and seemingly unrealistic and disfunctional world is actually mirroring the very world we live in.


EXPLORING IDEAS
Question 1. Why does Benlow think The Simpsons is important?

I think that Benlow thinks The Simpsons is important because it is showing an example of the disorder in our world today.



I agree with Benlow's essay "Revealing the Ugly Cartoonish Truth: The Simpsons". I think that he has a good point that The Simpsons really does show a side that reveals what is really going on. I love the Simpsons, but now I appreciate it even more because I never really thought of it that way.

In this essay he is pointing out that the far-fetched events that happen in the show are actually not too far off from what events happen in the world realistically. I loved it when he mentioned the kids walking into a toxic plant unnoticed because the guard was busy sucking on a beverage and watching Krusty the Clown on television.

I also liked his point about Homer being the poster boy of incompetence, yet he is granted a typical place in the ill-defined bureaucracy of power. He if fired and then, for no good reason, hired back.

I agree that it gets us to consider the lies the nuclear power industry feeds us and the laziness and self-righteousness of city governments.

No comments: